Here’s a bit of fun for the festive season. Ten quiz questions, some easy, some a bit harder, all to do with recent or older history. All of the answers can be found in posts on this blog from 2017. Get them right, and you can win an e-book of Revolution Day or Zeus of Ithome!
Send me your answers by Facebook message, Twitter or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). If more than one person gets all ten correct answers, I will pick a winner randomly. The quiz is open till Christmas Day.
( You can find out about the books here: http://timetaylor.wixsite.com/tetaylor/books )
1. Which African nation was implicated in the 1988 Lockerbie air crash?
2. Which World War 1 battlefield is close to the ancient city of Troy?
3. Which POW camp was the scene of the 1944 ‘Great Escape’ in which 76 prisoners escaped (of whom 50 were later executed)?
4. Which reservoir burst its dam in 1952 to cause a catastrophic flood in the Yorkshire town of Holmfirth?
5. Who was the murderer of archduke Franz Ferdinand?
6. Which historical figure was the subject of Mario Vargas Llosa’s novel The Feast of the Goat?
7. What is Robert Mugabe’s religion?
8. Which poet was imprisoned in the Tower of London on suspicion of adultery with Anne Boleyn?
9. Which Mexican president gave his name to an Italian dictator?
10. Which Dorset village was taken over by the Army in World War II?
Good luck – and a Happy Christmas to all!